Monday, August 23, 2010

One degree below sweat

That's how my husband describes the temperature of our house during the summer.

This post will probably offend the 2 or 3 readers I actually have, but here goes.

Last week there was much debate over whether unemployment benefits should be extended an additional 20 weeks. Many folks have exhausted the 99 weeks already in effect. 99 weeks is a long time. In fact, it is 5 weeks shy of 2 years. That is a long time to not work. I don't want to beat anyone up. It is a tough economy and jobs are scarce. Even teaching and government jobs are being cut.

I've worked a lot of jobs. I grew up on a farm in central Kentucky. That is hard work, but it can feed a family. I worked full time at McDonald's for 5 years during college and graduate school. McDonald's is hard work, but somehow I fed myself and my younger brother for whom I had custody since my dad died when I was eighteen. I taught school for 13 years. That is hard work and it doesn't pay enough (though better than farming and McD's). I've tutored, taught summer school, cleaned friends' houses, and babysat to supplement my income.

The past four years I have had the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom. That's hard work, too, but we'll save that for a later post. Hardly a month goes by that someone doesn't offer me a job. I haven't applied for a job in these four years, but I have positioned myself well by advancing my education and having a strong work ethic. I still do some tutoring only when someone calls me usually because they were referred by someone who knows me.

Here's my point and I do have a point: Position yourself well in the good times. When money is coming in, save some for a rainy day. Even if you're working a "bridge" job, do so with integrity and enthusiasm. You never know who might be on the other side of the phone or counter. The Bible tells us to do all work as if we're working for the Lord.

Back to the post title: My husband has a good job right now, but it doesn't mean we spend everything we make. We drive paid for cars, set a modest budget for food, clothing and household items, conserve energy, and save for retirement and our kids' education.
Oh and if you're wondering, cable TV is not a utility! Neither is a Blackberry or I-phone. It's ok to have them, but just know that they are luxury items, not necessities and if you don't have a job, turn them all off!

So where do I stand on further extending unemployment benefits? I think you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment