Thursday, April 8, 2010

Grocery Challenge

First of all, I probably have too much time on my hands. Even with having 3 little ones at home all week and not allowing myself to use the computer from 10-12 and again from 4:30-7:30 no phone or computer, I still somehow have the time to read blogs of all these women who are spending way less than me on groceries (and I am the coupon queen or so I thought). There is a mom who spends $30 a week all year. I might be able to do that one week, maybe! I have been reading tons of blogs of women all over NC and the Southeast who are really saving money on their grocery bill. One lady has only spent $237 total since January 1. Honestly, how does she do it?
So in March, I decided I would eat down the pantry and freezer and try to spend only $150. Of course, I failed in that by spending $322 and that was half what I normally spend and what I now normally spend is half what I spent 2 years ago. I know it is just the competition factor that has me motivated, but this month I am going to try again. I am not buying anything except milk that is not FREE. (OK, I'll be honest: I will buy soda and coffee if we run out because I am addicted). I am going to try to make a gallon of milk last 2 days instead of going through a gallon a day like we usually do.
I am completely stocked up on all toiletries, paper products, diapers, wipes, meat, fish, frozen vegetables, breakfast items, lunch items, pasta, rice, spices, juice, soda, butter, condiments, etc. Truly, I should be able to get by with just buying milk and fresh fruit. I should be able to do that for $150.

No comments:

Post a Comment