Tuesday, June 8, 2010

One Nation, Overweight

Frank and I watched this on one of the PM news shows Sunday night. It really motivated me to get moving. I've always been pretty active. Before kids, I was a trainer at the YMCA and faculty fitness coordinator for Charlotte Country Day School. I ran 3 marathons, lots of half marathons, and tons of 5K, 10Ks, etc. 4 months after Michael was born, I ran the Kiawah Island half marathon and then the Nashville Country Music half marathon when he was 7 months old. Since then, I have had a consistent running partner. We have been meeting at 5:45 or 6:00 am for 3 years.
Admittedly, the past 6 months I have been pretty slack. Carol has been traveling a lot and has been chronically injured. I'm not very good at getting up at 5:30 without someone to meet me.
All this to say, I have the idea in my head that if I don't work out for an hour and really sweat then there is no point. For me, there is no greater feeling than the high after a great run.
After watching all the obese people struggling with their weight and subsequent health problems, I decided that I am going to walk 2 miles every morning. Then if I get a chance to "really work out" later, great! But if not, I have at least done something.
I challenge all of you to start in small increments. 10 minutes of weight training with simple hand weights, jump rope, hula hoop, walk a mile or two, etc. Just get moving!!!
If you have children, it is incredibly important for them to see exercise as an integral part of your life. We have such a childhood obesity problem in our country. As parents, we have a duty to set the example of fitness as a lifestyle choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment