Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend--big boy bed and canning adventure

1. We moved Michael to his big boy bed. This may sound simple. It involved moving furniture in 4 rooms. Michael's race car bed went to Austin's house. The downstairs guest room bed that matches Michael's dresser moved to Michael's room. Hannah's mattress to Michael's room. Queen bed from beach room to downstairs guest room. Buy adorable white furniture from Wendy for beach room. Now the worst: find a mattress for Hannah's bed. I still contend that a mattress should cost no more than $100. I bought the furniture for the beach room for $150--twin bed and dresser. I bought Hannah's furniture--solid wood, made in America: full bed with 2 huge storage drawers underneath, desk with hutch, mirror, nightstand, 6-drawer dresser all for $400. But after much search--internet and in-store--by myself and Wendy (who also needs a mattress for her little girl's new furniture, hence me buying hers), I concluded that a mattress is about $350-$450 for something not even terribly comfortable. I don't like it, but it is a necessary evil.
What I do appreciate is my husband's "get er done" attitude. When there is a task(s) to be done, he has gazelle-like focus and does not stop until everything is complete. It drives me crazy sometimes, but when I want things rearranged around the house or the garage cleaned out, he is amazing!
1 (a). so now I just need to buy sheets for Michael's bed since I don't think he appreciated the pink gingham sheet I put on temporarily. I have plenty of full size girl sheets. Michael wants a Simba bed. If you've spent any time with my son, you know that when Michael wants something, he asks for it non-stop--I want milk, I want milk, .... until his request is granted. So while I am grateful for Frank's manual labor in getting all the furniture moved, I have the daunting task of finding "Lion King" room decor for a full size bed. I am convinced that Disney is out to make my life miserable by "vaulting" the Lion King. I can't buy the movie on DVD so we watch the VHS on a 13 inch tv in the playroom. I bought one figurine set several years ago (before said vaulting) and it is almost a full time job keeping up with the 6 characters.
2. I was picked by House Party to host a Ball Fresh Taste of Summer canning party. They sent me the water bath canner, recipe books, pectin, step-by-step instructions, coupons for 4 cases of free jars, etc. We'll be making home made salsa and pepper jelly. I had to do a trial run before the party. Frank picked up all the vegetables needed at the Farmer's Market--$26. My friend Niva came over and away we chopped. It took about 4 hours (partly learning curve, partly chopping tons of veggies). First we made pepper jelly. Yummy!!! Then after 1 1/2 hours of chopping, we made the salsa. Delicious with home made tortilla chips sprinkled with sea salt!
I am so glad I did the trial run. I am very glad I had Niva to help. It was pretty cool to hear all the lids seal (that means that we can store the food in our pantry for a year--or longer). The folks over at Ball will be glad to know we plan to do lots more canning. I don't know how cost-effective it will be since we will have to buy jars this year, but our food will be healthy and preservative free, not to mention delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment