Monday, May 10, 2010

$150 monthly grocery challenge update

I am going to pretend that someone actually reads my blog so I will have virtual accountability for sticking to my $150 grocery challenge. Because I am very health conscious, I have to do this without sacrificing quality or nutrition. I make sure that everyone gets fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, lean protein, low fat, high fiber carbohydrates everyday. My husband is (always) on Weight Watchers so we all eat around his meal plan which is very healthy.
I counted out my $150 cash on May 1. So far I have spent $35.24 (an average of $3.91 per day). That is about $1 per person per day. My husband and I used to think an average of $4 per person per meal was pretty good.
Yesterday, I stocked up on split chicken breasts which were $0.88/lb at HT. I bought almost 12 pounds because I had a rebate for $10 back if you purchase $10 in beef, poultry or seafood. It will take 2 months to get the $10 and even if it gets lost in the mail, the chicken was a great deal. I made a splurge for Hannah on Luigi's Italian Ice. It was $3.29 and even with a coupon it was still $2.29. Even though we have tons of adult toothpaste, I shamefully ran out of kids' toothpaste last week and had to pay full price minus a $0.50 coupon=$2.67. Milk is our biggest thing that I can't get a deal on. I only bought 2 gallons last night because I am planning a trip to Costco later in the week. We're getting close to only drinking a gallon every 2 days
I have to say that counting out cash is definitely more painful than swiping my debit card. I know I'm goofy, but I have the time to try this and if I can save our family $400-$500 a month on groceries then it frees up money to do more fun things like our spur-of-the-moment Mother's Day weekend trip to Myrtle Beach.
I am aware that I could work even part time and make much more than I save, but for now my family is happy with me staying home so I am making being a wife, mom, and home economizer my full time job.

1 comment: