Thursday, May 13, 2010

Think About It Thursday

So here's what I'm thinking about...homeschooling!
I was a middle/high school math and science teacher for 13 years, 6 in public school and 7 at an elite private school. I have always been against homeschooling. On several occasions, both in public and private school, home-schooled children would come to my classes and they were always behind and very un-socialized and never made it more than a few weeks in a regular classroom setting. One boy told his parents in reference to the (wonderful) kids in my 8th grade honors geometry class, "They are a bunch of savages."
On the other end of the spectrum, I had one girl I'll never forget who had been home-schooled by her missionary parents until 11th grade. As part of her studies, she attended public high school her senior year. This girl was awesome! She was placed in all regular classes because the school didn't know how to place her. My friend Chris and I realized quickly that she needed to be in honors classes for several reasons. She asked me to be her mentor for her senior project. I don't think I'll ever forget her.
I've criticized people who home-schooled their kids. I've said I don't think I am qualified to teach my kids everything even though I am certified to teach K-6 all subjects and math/science in upper grades. I have a bachelor's degree in education with emphases in math and science and a master's degree in math education.
I've met home school moms who don't immunize their kids, sleep until noon, work at minimum wage jobs, are uneducated themselves and I have always turned my nose up at them. I have had heated discussions with my neighbor who home-schooled her kids. I've always envisioned these moms as the ones who only eat organic foods, wear organic clothes, use cloth diapers, don't buy toilet paper or Kleenex and instead use rags for those needs.
Lately, however, some people I consider "normal" have chosen to home-school and are having a great experience. The one question about public education that has really gotten me thinking is, "Why do we expect our children to buy into a system that we don't fully buy into ourselves?"
I asked Hannah, my kindergartner, if she would like to be home-schooled and she said yes. She asked me before kindergarten if I would home school her. She has had a great experience in our little country public school so I am not entertaining the idea based on bad experiences.
I am going to purchase a home school curriculum for first grade and do it with Hannah this summer. It will give us an idea of how it would work.
I have to do some research. I have to decide what works for my family. In so many areas of our lives, my family goes against the norm. So for now, homeschooling is something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment