Thursday, May 27, 2010

3 Big Things Going on....

1. I just finished taking a class at Central Piedmont Community College on how to start a non profit. I have been actively involved in my friend Marie's ministry LIFT and suggested to her that she apply for non profit status for the ministry since it is already growing beyond her wildest dreams. Boy, did we learn a lot in the class! We have written and revised our mission and vision statement, composed a business plan for the next full year, learned how to apply for grants, business ID #, 501(c)3 status, etc...it is a bit overwhelming!
2. I committed to Joy McGuire at With Love From Jesus to coordinate the entire Thanksgiving giveaway. This means organizing financial and human resources to make 3500-4000 meals and getting them delivered. We have to research the location and population of the poorest, most destitute in our community. We need a refrigerated truck to store the meals as they are assembled to keep them from spoiling. I need to brainstorm just what it will take to accomplish this undertaking. The past 2 years I have organized volunteers to assemble 100-200 meals. I have to wrap my brain around what it will take to do 40 times that amount...ok now I am almost too tired to go onto #3.
3. I'm in the 75-90% confidence range that I will home school Hannah for first grade. She really wants to do it, I am certified K-12 with a master's in math, I am blessed to be a stay at home mom, and I am really excited about it. When Hannah was in day care for 2 1/2 years, I would say that I paid someone else to teach my child so I could teach other people's children. Why not put that energy and focus into teaching my own children? My friend Teresa said to me, "No one has more interest in her education than you." I just said to Frank last night we are always saying the schools should teach such and thus. If I am the school, I will teach it, right? Due to my Type A personality, I will write out goals and objectives along with action plans to achieve them. I am attending an informational meeting next Tuesday at Growing Scholars.

No comments:

Post a Comment