Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Celebrating Cinco de Mayo the whole month of May

Ok, for the 2 people who actually read my blog. You know that for the past 2 months I have tried to follow Kathy at $30 Weekly Grocery Challenge. She somehow feeds her family of 3 on $30 a week and has been doing so over a year now. My goal has been to spend less than $150 per month. I'd honestly just like to make it one month to prove I can do it. In March, I spent $300 and April was $284. This month I am going to follow the Dave Ramsey advice of using cash. I have counted out $150 in cash and I am determined I can do it.
The past week's deals at HT were mostly for Mexican foods. We'll be celebrating Cinco de Mayo for the whole month of May due to the great deals on tortillas, salsa, cheese, and seasonings. That is fine because I have already found some great ways to get creative.
1. Whole wheat wrap with Tastefully Simple's Vidalia Onion dressing, chicken, onion, sweet peppers, and spring mix. I had some version of this wrap 4 meals in a row. In one version, I used honey mustard dressing and added walnuts and cranberries.
2. Burritos: use a burrito mix, ground beef, 1 cup of water, and a can of fat free re-fried beans to fill a flour tortilla. Top with sour cream, salsa, and Mexican cheese.
3. Cheese quesadillas. Simply put some cheese on a flour tortilla, fold and put in your Foreman grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted. Cut into wedges. Kids love these.
4. Add chicken to #3 and serve with sour cream and salsa.
5. Homemade tortilla chips. Cut corn tortillas into wedges and deep fry in a mix of olive and corn oil. Turn once when they start to float. Drain on paper towels and grind some sea salt on top. Yummy by themselves or with salsa.
6. Salmon and crab wrap: Spread salmon flavored cream cheese on whole wheat tortilla, add spring mix and crab meat.
7. Spinach and salmon wrap: Wilt fresh spinach in olive oil for a few minutes (medium high heat). Prepare one frozen salmon fillet with salmon seasoning and teriyaki sauce. Wrap in whole wheat wrap.
8. Chile Relleno casserole: 2 cans green chiles, 1.5 cups of cheese, 3 eggs, 1/4 cup flour, 5 oz evaporated milk, 1 can tomato sauce. Layer cheese and chiles. Mix eggs, flour & milk and pour over cheese/chile layers. Bake for 30 minutes. Pour tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes longer. Serve with homemade tortilla chips.
9. I am going to try breakfast burritos with chicken to make them healthier.
10. Good old fashioned tacos!

I'll need to make a run to Costco to pick up more spring mix and milk. It is worth the trip to save about a dollar per gallon since we go through so much milk. I just have to stay focused and not get distracted by all the yummy stuff in Costco!

No comments:

Post a Comment